I've wanted to take the kids skiing for a few years now, but they were young and it's quite the investment. But I decided now was the time and even convinced Patrick to come. We got an amazing deal on an Epic pass with the military and this was the last year that all the kids got the free Epic pass so it was now or never. I made reservations at a new hotel in Vail and we were set to go. Unfortunately, bad weather once again accompanied us on this trip. We just couldn't escape it this year. The drive up was treacherous, but we finally go behind a plow and made it.
The hotel was a ski in/out which would've been great so we didn't have to get kids and skis to and from but since the weather was so bad, the lift was closed next to the hotel. So, then it became a nightmare trying to get the kids to ski school with all their heavy and awkward gear. But once that was accomplished, Patrick and I hit the slopes for the day. I hadn't skied in over 15 years and Patrick was learning. Thankfully, it came back quickly for me and although I thought Patrick did an amazing job for his first day, he did not agree. The next day he stayed back with Aislin and I took the other kids myself. It was incredible to see how fast they had picked it up in ski school and they were zooming down the mountain. But around lunch time, the bad weather picked up again and it basically turned into miserable blizzard conditions, so we decided to head home. Once again, we got stuck on a closed interstate for hours and when it finally opened up, the road conditions were so scary. After Thanksgiving and now this trip, it's hard to ever want to travel in the winter again. I was hoping this was going to be a great weekend get-a-way. Maybe next time.
The hotel was really nice and decked out for Christmas.
Vail is a beautiful little town and we enjoyed walking around after a dinner out.
The conditions were so bad this weekend, especially for learning, but the kids really did enjoy skiing. I know they want to go back again...Patrick not so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment