Saturday, March 2, 2019

Gavin Potter turns 7!

Gavin is 7 already. That makes him officially a big boy. He has grown so much this year in his personality (not so much physically). He has exploded in school: his reading and math are exceptional, he seeks out additional learning and retains details like you can't imagine, he has matured socially, and he knows exactly what he wants. He's doing awesome at piano, still likes to be funny, loves soccer and basketball, can't get enough of playing outside, and finally will take a bite of asparagus. He also has a tender heart (which he keeps guarded at times) and has a quite the conscience. He plays well with his sisters and has a special bond with Aislin. We love him.

Since he is reading the 3rd Harry Potter book currently, naturally he wanted a HP theme cake. This meant I had to venture into the world of fondant (something I've been avoiding). But it was a good push for my cake decorating skills and I'm happy that it didn't end in complete disaster. I made my own fondant and got it on the cake wrinkle free the first try. The decals were fun to make and much easier, although very tedious since I free handed them.

Hardest part done!

I copied the HP font letters.

The snitch was more work than I anticipated. I made the snitch and the hat out of rice crispie treats and covered them in fondant. The lines on the snitch took way longer than they should have, but the results were worth it. I sprayed the yellow fondant with gold dust to give it a shine.

The hat was a last minute idea and was great for the fondant with its wrinkles. The scarf was also fun to play with since I could shape it and really make the cake look like there was motion and dimension. I'm no longer scared of fondant!

This cake took me about 7 or so hours. The kids really liked it and Gav was happy.

We celebrated his birthday with all the extended cousins.

Everyone wanted to eat the snitch but it was reserved for the birthday boy.

The cake was a red velvet to match Gryffindor.

No comments: