Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gavin Patrick Is Here!

Gavin Patrick Reilly
March 2, 2012
12:57 pm
8 lb 5 oz, 20.5 in

We scheduled an induction for the day before my due date. I didn't go into labor on my own with Ayden and after many Braxton Hicks contractions and being dilated 3cms for a week, still nothing. The pitocin was started at 8 am and the contractions picked up fast. I asked for an epidural at 11 when I decided I had felt enough. Unfortunately, a student placed it and accidentally hit a vein. They pulled back the catheter to get it out of the vein but pulled back too far and pulled it out of the epidural space. Needless to say, it was not effective. They wanted to make sure I gave it adequate time to make sure it truly wasn't working before replacing it. But labor really picked up and when it was determined it did indeed need replacing, I was already 8 cms and in incredible pain. I had blisters on my hands from grasping the side rails of the bed. I never planned on enduring labor pains and cannot believe how excruciating it became. I then received another epidural (not by the student) and a heavy bolus, which got me comfortable quickly. It was amazing! I wanted to take a quick nap but as I was lying back down, I started feeling pressure and was complete. The doctor came in and a few minutes later, Gavin was here! It was quite the experience, one I don't really need to have again. I will ask for the epidural much sooner next time just in case. But I'm so glad I was able to enjoy the actual delivery. There's nothing like seeing the baby for the first time. We instantly fell in love with him. We are so blessed to have a healthy boy.



Ayden meeting her little brother for the first time. She has been so sweet with him.

First family photo.

Mimi and Gavin


Poppy showered Gavin with many boy toys, welcoming the first grandson.

Our first trip out on the town.

Mom, Dad, and Jill came for the big day and were such a huge help with Ayden. It was wonderful having family here and away supporting us and loving Gavin instantly. He truly is a lucky boy.

9 comments:

codi said...

Congrats!! You have a beautiful family and Gavin is so very cute. Give them kisses from the Greybull family :)

Annette said...

YA!!! What a cute little guy! I'm glad all is well.

Sarah said...

Congrats, Logan and Patrick! He is so cute. And good for you for giving your parents a grandson :) so many cute little girls running around, I am sure Gavin will be a welcomed addition.

-Sarah Tweedie

lawtrix said...

Congratulations - we're so happy for you! He's absolutely adorable! (And your epidural story freaked me out a little...)

Nicole and Garrett said...

Love him! I just love him so much! How do you ever stop kissing those cheeks? :) Great pictures and a terrifying story. I'm glad it all worked out in the end!

Unknown said...

I love him! I love you! I wish I was there to kiss his perfect chubby cheeks and kick some anesthesiologist backside. Congrats!

Amanda said...

Congratulations Logan and Patrick! He is adorable. Hopefully we can ALL make it to a Thanksgiving one day and meet eachother's kids;)

Maren said...

He's a keeper!!

The Haynies said...

Congratulations Logan! He's so cute!