Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pregnancy + Potty Training = Torture

Gavin is coming in 2 months. I have been changing diapers for almost 3 years. I tried potty training Ayden at 2 years old and then again at 2 1/2, with no success and lots of pain and suffering. She is a very "strong willed" child that likes routine and did not want change. Plus, she had this fear of going on the potty. Not sitting on the potty; she'd sit there all day and then when it was time to go, she'd have a anxiety/panic attack, get off, and pee on the floor next to the toilet. I Googled this reaction. Apparently, no other child is like this. I felt sorry for her and for myself. Was she just not developmentally ready? She's hit other milestones early. How do I handle this? I can lead a toddler to the potty, but I can't make her pee!
Well, now at her age and with another one coming soon, desperate times call for desperate measures. So, I told her when Santa came he was leaving presents and taking away all her diapers. She seemed to accept this. Before when trying to train, she would run to her room and try to put on a diaper herself. But with none around, she had no choice but to go on the floor (she hates messes) or the potty. Santa kept his promise. The first few days were like diaper detox in a rehab center. Lots of crying and resistance. But incentives and the realization of her new reality soon kicked in and she's doing it! She still doesn't like it, but we are diaper free, even at night. Everyday she improves and accidents are minimal. It was exhausting, especially being pregnant; I'm huge and impatient. But it's basically done and now I get a 2 month break before it starts all over again!

Poo poo in the potty= play in the new tent with Daddy.
We used candy, toys, privileges, whatever it took!

4 comments:

Effie said...

Well, I don't know what's wrong with the way that you're potty training, but the way I potty trained Ava was flawless. Piece of cake. :) J/k. Do you remember our problems potty training Ava? I'm glad it's going well. And for what it's worth, the 2nd child really was a breeze. Part of it is definitely a personality difference, but I think it helps them to see older siblings using the potty all the time.

kadejesalee said...

I sssssooooo feel for you!!! I have been changing diapers for 6 years (3 of which was having 2 in diapers at the same time!) Ty was 3and 1/2 before he got it, and it was just because he choose. NOTHING we did worked (it was a torturous 10 months of trying!) Zoe 22 months loves sitting on the potty already, buy like Ayden never does anything until she gets off...and the mess is all on the floor. I hate potty training, but this too shall pass!!!

cambersue said...

Wow good work. My hat's off to you.

The Tabot Fam said...

LOL. Love those calls in the morning... "Gigi, I'm all dry today!" Melts my heart. Sooo proud of you for enduring!!