We closed on a Thursday afternoon and headed straight over to the house to hang fans in each bedroom. The kids desperately wanted fans and since we weren't renting this place, we could install them! We hired 2 guys to help us move the next day. We had already packed up our things in the boxes that we had saved from our previous moves. So all we were doing is loading and unloading. But boy did we underestimate that job! It ended up taking 10 hours of non-stop work to get it all moved over. Thankfully, the guys we hired were terrific and stayed til it was done. I sent the kids to friends houses (since Jill was also moving the same day). It was exhausting. It was the first move we have done ourselves since the military has done it for the last 10 years.
Then the unpacking begun. We are pros at unpacking so that went fairly quickly. But unlike our rentals, we had a list of projects we wanted to do and so it seemed like it took a while to get settled. The house felt instantly like home. The kids made friends and we enjoyed our first dinner at our new big table. It is so nice to be home.
Then the unpacking begun. We are pros at unpacking so that went fairly quickly. But unlike our rentals, we had a list of projects we wanted to do and so it seemed like it took a while to get settled. The house felt instantly like home. The kids made friends and we enjoyed our first dinner at our new big table. It is so nice to be home.
One of the first mornings in the house. The light streaming in and the view is incredible.
We had new couches and chairs and a dining table delivered the second day. We finally got rid of the craigslist furniture from when we got married! (which I sold on craiglist for almost the same price I bought it 10 years ago!)
I designed this laundry room with these pendants in mind. Jill helped me hang them.
We moved on from the brown and green decor from our previous homes and committed to grey. I love the light and refreshing look.
It's so fun having new hand towels even and a rug!
Then our shutters arrived. We LOVE these shutters! They add such architectural design to the space.
The split tilt lets light in but provides privacy.
The view of the Denver skyline from the great room.
We get this sunset view every evening.
We kept our eye out in the Ikea's as-is section to piece together Patrick's library. Eventually, we (Dad) will trim them all out like built-ins, but that's later on the list.
The first project on our list for Dad was to build this media cubby into the side of the fireplace. With the TV over the fireplace, it was a must have to hide wires and hold all the components. Knowing this was the plan, I had the electrician wire the cable, internet, and power in this wall. We grabbed some kitchen wall cabinets out of the Ikea as-is section and Dad installed them. I caulked and painted it and it's the perfect solution.
Next on the Dad do list was my vision for the laundry. I really wanted a drop zone for the kids that was by the door but not in front of the door. So I moved the java cabinets from the laundry and installed them as a butler's pantry and ordered the same cabinets in white for the laundry. I've had this vision in my head for this space for a year. I sketched it for Dad and he made it come to life!
I still need to add counter tops and hardware, but it is exactly what I dreamed of and helps keep everything organized and in its place. I's so grateful to Dad for working so hard and being so handy!
These custom touches are what is so great about owning our own home. We can make it work for our lives and we are loving it!
No comments:
Post a Comment